Let It Be Sunday, 377!
We’ve somehow already reached the level of summer where I am no longer willing to wear clothes, and it’s not even officially summer? Do we know what we’re wearing this summer? Correction, do we know what we’re sweating through this summer? It appears as though I’m only willing to wear loose linens and cotton short sets that can easily be confused for pajamas. I can’t bear anything else save for the leather motorcycle jacket I’m wearing for my first ride out today. Linen or leather? There is no in between.
Today is Father’s Day and I’m lucky enough to have the best of the best. You know Clifford for some of the very best recipes here on Joy the Baker including his legendary browned butter chocolate chip cookies.
Here are your Sunday things. Take your time here and in general today.
• My favorite piece of writing this week comes from Ella Baxter: If A House Can Be A Mother. The color of this piece of writing: dark olive green. The feeling: haunted. (Astra Mag)
• In all honestly, I need some time off with this as my guide: A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit. (Bookshop.org)
• One of the most beautiful cookbooks in my collection just won a very well deserved James Beard Award. The Mosquito Supper Club cookbook by Melissa Martin with photographs by Dennny Culbert is poetry in prose and images. (Bookshop.org)
• I don’t know who needs to hear this (spoiler: it’s all of us) but – It’s Never Too Late to Pivot Towards Your Passion an episode from the new podcast You Betcha She Did. (Apple Podcasts)
• “The Fed” is a pair of words that simply and quickly inspires fear, but knowledge is power. Five Things To Know About The Fed. (The Conversation)
• Listening to PJ Morton sing SWV’s Weak has implanted the song in my head for the next full week. (Instagram)
• Adding this to the weeknight rotation: Almond Butter Tofu Stir Fry. Making a double batch because – leftovers. (again, Instagram)
• I’m using Hilary Duff’s makeup from the cover of Women’s Health Mag as my inspiration this summer. The vibe is GLOWY which, honestly, is pretty easy to achieve with just a hint of sparkles and the humidity down south. I showed this picture to my hair dresser and she said, “Well Hilary has really nice skin” implying that you have to have perfect skin to make it glow. False. We all have skin and instead of wishing for different skin, let’s make the skin we have GLOW, amen. In related news, I unapologetically put this Coppertone Glow Sunscreen everywhere thankyouverymuch. (Instagram and Amazon)
• I know it’s a lot to ask you to turn on your ovens this time of year but this Blueberry and Blackberry Cobbler is worth the preheat. (Joy the Baker)
• I bought For the Table, the new cookbook by Anna Stockwell from Book Larder this week in Seattle. It’s gentle in ideas and imagery and will make for the perfect housewarming gift.
• Book Larder in Seattle is one of my favorite book stores. Laura, the lovely owner, has invited me to visit every few years for the past decade to give a cooking demo and sign books. This past week I was there baking from and signing the latest issue of Joy the Baker magazine. So many people that came last Tuesday had pictures of us from nearly ten years ago at past Book Larder signings. We’ve been at this a long time together, friends. I love that about us.
Have a wonderful Sunday, friends!
My love to you.
Joy the Baker June 19, 2022 at 08:49AM
Comments & Reviews