Have you ever been so overwhelmed that loading the dishwasher seems like a phenomenal task? I am but a singular lady living in a studio apartment. Every day I marvel at the sheer amount of dishes I collect in a few short hours. Cups on my nightstand, plates on the TV tray (2 feet away from my nightstand), coffee and tea mugs on my kitchen island (3 feet away from the TV tray). And if I cook?! Oh, it’s all over. Somehow, I deploy every dish in my kitchen’s arsenal. The stovetop resembles the aftermath of a rugby game – and it rained.
For those living with roommates and/or families, I cannot imagine the magnitude of dishes collected daily. May your sinks ever be emptied and cleaned by an unknown source that is not you. May the benevolent blue Dawn make her Powerwash products to shine upon you. It’s rough out here! I will light a candle.
In the meantime, we still have to eat! It is wild that after you make a meal, you’re going to have to make another meal. Being indoors 1000% more made this fact impossible to understand – my brain refuses to absorb it. To make things easier on you and me, here are 5 recipes guaranteed to satisfy, but not add to the looming dish pile.
– I’m going to be completely honest, I want you to have chocolate for breakfast. You
chocolate for breakfast. That’s it, that’s all.
– In essentials, this is meant to fortify your soul. Firstly, it is hearty and robust and could be eaten at any time of the day. Secondly, if a biscuit or some hash browns showed up next to it, no one would bat an eyelash. In fact, you would be celebrated.
– Chicken and rice is a comfort food that spans cultures. At any given time, I’d walk into my grandmother’s house on the South Side of Chicago to a pot of chicken and rice cooking on the stove. Moreover, it was her love in physical form. This beautiful Israeli version is aromatic and warm, and should be shared with loves old and new.
– The beauty of this dish lies in its versatility – use this opportunity to empty your fridge or freezer and add the ingredients that work. I see this as a perfect weeknight meal, when your brain can’t make another decision.
– There is something incredibly sacred about eating chocolate cake directly from the refrigerator – especially after everyone has gone to bed. This cake gives you that exact opportunity, let it love you!
Abby Mallett February 15, 2022 at 06:34PM