Summer Bucket List, 2022!
BUCKET LIST buck•et list (noun): a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have accomplished during their lifetime. Also, a 2007 comedic film featuring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.
SUMMER BUCKET LIST sum•mer buck•et list (noun): a list of things that a person would like to accomplish and experience during the summer months. If done correctly, should involve water-guns, pool time, and roller-skates.
Hello friends! We’re a few days into summer and already breaking heat records here in New Orleans. It is THICK out there. My afternoon walks have gotten a lot slower with a few breaks in the shade. Summer reminds me to slow it all down mostly because it’s nearly impossible to act any faster.
Can I be honest? I need a break this summer. I am tired, like a deep-inside kind of tired. A few sweet women I work with (good lookin’ out Abby and Megan) are worried I’m on the verge of burnout. They might be right. Is that what this fundamental fatigue is? Yes, inescapably yes.
I’m slowing work down for myself this summer. I must, since there’s simply no gas left in the tank. But can I tell you what does have gas? The new motorcycle Will bought me for my birthday. An incredibly exciting and generous gift to celebrate completing last year’s summer bucket list goal of getting my motorcycle endorsement.
The invitation is to slow down and take care this summer. Emotions are high and bad news is so loud, it’s understandable to feel like you need to put your feet in the grass about it. I texted my parents today to ask where they want to go on mother-daughter and then father-daughter weekend vacations. Let’s be with people we love – in the sun. It’s been a wild two years.
Summer Bucket Lists are meant to be fun and aspirational. I feel like once the list is written, the dreams are set. They’ll happen, this summer or the next, or the next after that God willing.
Here’s what’s on my Summer Bucket List this year:
• Go blueberry picking in Mississippi. I will be taking my shoes off and putting my feet in the very Earth. I will come back with my tongue and fingertips stained purple, thank you.
• Go on lots of long motorcycle rides with Will. I’ll be honest in saying that I don’t have a ton of confidence riding without Will yet. You know how how race horses have their calming buddies that love on them before them before a race? Will is my calming horse except I’m not in a race, I’m just trying to get to 5th gear. He rides behind me and keeps cars at a safe distance from me. It’s also comforting to look in my rear view mirror and see him laughing at how dodgey my gear shifting is. I’ll be laughing at this come next summer when I’ll have the confidence to zoom zoom all over town on my own (with smarts and extreme caution).
• Visit Arkansas for a camp or a dad + daughter trip. It’s one of the most beautiful states and I want to go spend more time.
• Watch a sunset from a sailboat. This is real bucket list stuff because sailboat!? In this economy!? Lol ok, we’ll see.
• Eat oysters. Easy enough here in the Gulf Coast but I’m that girl who asks the waiter how big the oysters are before I order them. I’m just always trying to recreate Maine oysters because there are none better.
• Make a new friend. It’s been a few years since I truly made a new friend (wait… is that true!? OOHHHH pandemic….) so it’s time to branch out and make a new, very good friend. I have a few people in mind which sounds maybe a bit like dating but, well – that’s relationship building for ya!
• Make small-batch no-churn ice cream because I’m on this small-batch kick and I have very little interest in turning on the oven. The oven is for sheet cakes, frozen pizza and Campfire Baked Bananas only this summer I dunno. I don’t make the rules (lol, yes I do).
What’s on your Summer Bucket List? You can find more inspiration from Bucket Lists’ past here: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015.
My love to you, this season and always.
Joy the Baker June 27, 2022 at 09:09PM
Comments & Reviews